JJSL traces its history back 180 years and five generations and is today recognised as one of the most innovative and efficient timber producers in Europe, with seven mills across the UK.
Fifth generation Hyne, James Hyne said this is yet another significant milestone in Hyne Timber’s 140 years of growth.
“With this exciting partnership, we are bringing together two multi-generational family-owned and operated companies with a shared commitment to world-class product quality, service, safety, innovation and sustainability.
“The partnership will concentrate on identifying and developing growth opportunities in our region and beyond.
“The JJSL Chair, Tom Bruce-Jones, is also now the Chair of our Hyne Group Board, who we welcome with his extensive experience in our industry at a global level.”
JJSL Chair and the new Hyne Group Chair, Tom Bruce-Jones said this partnership provides a strong platform for further consolidation and growth in Australia and New Zealand.
“We choose our partners very carefully and in the Hyne Group we have found a culture of integrity and excellence that mirrors our own.
“In an increasingly corporate and private equity dominated industry, we believe that family culture and values not only provide differentiation but are a key competitive advantage. Together, we believe there are enormous opportunities to use our combined know-how, experience and financial strength to grow the business by delivering even better products and services.”
Under the terms of the partnership, JJSL hold the majority interest, almost 60% with over 40 per cent being retained by the Hyne Group’s existing shareholders, including the Hyne family. JJSL has been involved in similar, successful partnerships in the past, including a 25-year joint venture and ownership of Stella-Jones Inc in North America.
The Hyne Group CEO, Jon Kleinschmidt confirmed there were no plans for any changes to the Hyne Timber and XLam brands,
“It is business as usual for the Hyne Group operations with no changes to the company’s team members, customers, suppliers and our ongoing commitment to supporting the communities in which we operate.
“This is an exciting new chapter in our 140-year journey, and I look forward to working with the new Board and shareholders as we focus on new growth opportunities moving forward.”
The partnership has secured Foreign Investment Review Board approval and all other regulatory approvals.
More information about UK based James Jones and Sons
- James Jones & Sons Ltd is the UK’s most diversified, family-owned timber processor with annual sales in excess of £330 million.
- The company operates from 27 sites across the UK and employs over 1,220 committed team members.
- JJSL (www.jamesjones.co.uk/) today operates seven sawmills located strategically across Scotland and North England, with a sawn capacity of 800,000m3 on a single shift basis consuming 1.4 million tonnes of roundwood.
- Their Timber Systems Division is Europe's largest I-Joist producer with a capacity of 20 million lineal metres per annum.
- Their Pallet & Packaging Division is the UK's largest integrated pallet manufacturer as well as operating repair and inspection sites for the three major pallet pool companies.
- The Group has a successful history of investments and partnerships including Scottish Woodlands Ltd, the UK's largest independent forest management and harvesting company in the UK, managing over 200,000 hectares of forestry properties.
- The Group purchased, post commissioning, the UK's first ever non-subsidised 24MW windfarm in December 2020. This asset along with biomass plants at most of their sites, and through large-scale forestry holdings, ensures the Group is able to achieve and maintain net zero carbon credentials.
- Similar to the new partnership with the Hyne Group, in 1994, JJSL created a joint venture with an Italian family-owned business, Stella SpA, with the specific aim of purchasing wood treatment assets in Canada. The company, Stella-Jones Inc, with the support of the JV partners, went from strength to strength and now operates from 40 plants in Canada and USA.
- JJSL first became aware of Hyne Group in October 2020 and approached the Board to determine whether there might be any opportunity to discuss strategic options. It quickly became apparent that the two companies were very similar culturally and philosophically, and were almost identical in terms of sawn output and market share in their respective markets. JJSL shares the same Environmental, Social and Governance ("ESG") vision as the Hyne Group and believes the global focus on climate change and ESG will provide impetus to the forestry sector.